This week’s prayer activity provides an opportunity to read the Bible and spend some time listening and speaking with God.
First, go to your prayer place and say the Lord’s Prayer. Spend a minute just being quiet to prepare your heart to listen to God’s Word.
Then find and read these passages in the Bible: Matthew 4:18-22 and Mark 2:13-14.
- If you are not sure how to find passages in the Bible, here are some tips.
- First find the book: Matthew. The Gospels are in the New Testament, so both Matthew and Mark are toward the end of the Bible. Your Bible may have a list of books at the front which can help you find the starting pages of each book.
- Next, find the chapter: 4. This will be a large number at the beginning of a passage or you may see a heading that says ‘Chapter 4’.
- Then find and read the verses: 18-22. These will be small numbers in the text.
Once you have read both passages, spend a minute being quiet again. Listen for what God may be saying to you in your heart. Are there any words or parts of the stories that seem to speak to you?
Then spend some time talking to God about what you read. Here are some things you may want to speak with him about.
- The Apostles responded immediately when Jesus called them to follow Him. Why do you think they were willing to leave everything to follow Jesus?
- What would you say or do if Jesus asked you to follow Him?
Finally, draw a picture of Jesus calling his first disciples. Put yourself in the picture. Where would you be? What would you be doing?