Here is an easy experiment to do at home with beautiful results!
You will need:
- Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)
- A wide-mouth glass jar
- Food colouring (optional)
- Measure 1/2 cup of Epsom salt and 1/2 cup of very hot tap water into the jar. Stir for at least a minute.
- This will create a saturated solution. Some undissolved crystals will remain at the bottom of the jar because no more salt is able to be dissolved in the water
- Optional – If you would like your crystals to be coloured, stir in a few drops of food colouring at this point.
- Leave the jar sitting out, uncovered and undisturbed. In a few hours, you should have a jar full of crystals.
- You can leave it out and allow the crystals to continue to grow, or pour out the water to examine your crystals more closely.